Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Reindeer Cookies

Hallie and I have had fun baking together. For the mixing stage, I clear a space for her on the counter and let her sit there. She holds measuring cups for me and will dump ingredients in the bowl after I measure them. She helps me mix and stir. Normally for the shaping stage she stands on a chair next to me. She is such a delight to bake with. I can't believe next year I will have two daughters to bake with.



Here is a fun tradition I wanted to share with you. We like to make reindeer cookies each year. I originally saw the idea in a Quick Cooking magazine around the time Chris and I were married. That idea featured pre-made dough and red hots for the nose. In the past I have made molasses cookies for the base. This year we went for peanut butter again. For my recipe, I use Sally Brodowski's Peanut Butter Cookie recipe. Sally is a cooking and baking legend at church where I grew up. Her recipe is as follows:

Beat until creamy: 1 cup butter, 1 cup peanut butter, and 2 cups brown sugar
Beat in 2 eggs.
Add: 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, and 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
Mix well until well blended.

Here is where I add my instructions:
Divide the cookie dough into two balls. Place balls on seran wrapap. Squeeze the dough gently as you wrap to form into a log. Place dough in freezer for about 15 min. Note: Whenever a recipe calls for fridge time, I always use the freezer. It greatly speeds the process and (I find) does not effect the quality of the cookie. Once the dough is chilled, pull out one "dough log." I like to save the other one for future baking. I like the side of my log to look like an oval, instead of a circle. Slice the log into 1/2 inch slices. Lay slices flat on greased cookie sheets. I prefer to bake on stoneware. Flatten slice slightly with palm of hand. Decorate with chocolate chip eyes. For the nose, I used red swirl white chocolate chips this year. I have used M&Ms and red hots in the past. I recommend the M&Ms or my current chips, I find the red hots melt and can smear your reindeer face. Use two twist pretzels for the ears. I find it important to layer the pretzel between dough. Otherwise the pretzels fall off too easily after baking.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 13 minutes, or until edges brown lightly.

And there, my friends, are fun, festive, reindeer cookies!

6 comments:

The Clews Crew said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe!! I'm so excited to make it. Adi already thinks they are "so cute." Miss you guys. Merry Christmas!

Vanessa said...

these are adorable! and with molasses...do you have that recipe? same with the whole freezing thing? two of my little ones can't have peanuts either...the joys of food allergies. these are so cute, we'd love to make them too! thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Jenni said...

What a great cookie and totally up my alley. I love doing things like this. Thanks for the recipe!

Hey could I get your address? I'm sending out Christmas cards. I'm sure you have given it to me before but I must have misplaced it. Here is my email address just in case you don't want to leave it on my blog...

markandjenni@gmail.com

Ruth Worthington said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I think we are going to try them out :).

Josh and Diana Lee said...

Diana and I just want you to know that we think you are SuperMom!

trevsnavywife said...

I LOVE THESE!! Actually I was planning to make some of these with Katrina tomorrow when Aidan naps. Only we are doing sugar cookies with M&M's for the eyes and nose!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails