Saturday, December 20, 2008

Musings on Christmas

I've shared our sugar cookie pictures and reindeer cookie recipe. Other things we've made this season are: Chex Muddy Buddies, Rice Krispie Treats, and fudge. My fudge unfortunately failed and is like a pan of chocolate frosting. Oh well, I am not that big of a "fudge person" anyhow-- just wanted to try out the recipe. I've made a cheese ball for Chris to attack with crackers. Even though we have been making lots of treats, we get away with it because I only make half batches and bring it to church activities or make Chris take it to work. This morning Hallie and I made gingerbread people. She told me early this morning she wanted to make "play-dough cookies." I think she meant she wanted to make sugar cookies because you roll them out and make shapes. It was a cute way to express what she wanted.

Chris and I have some fun traditions that are unique to our little family. Since I love theme meals and we have lots of Christmas movies to watch, we often combine them into one Christmas activity. Yesterday, we ate cheese pizza for lunch while we watched Home Alone. For those not familiar with the movie, the eight-year-old protagonist, Kevin, loves cheese pizza and is furious that his family doesn't leave him any. Several nights ago we had our third annual A Christmas Story Chinese food night. Normally I make egg rolls and cream cheese wontons. This year, we did it all take-out. We choose Chinese food because the movie ends with the family eating at Chop Suey's Chinese restaurant after their fine turkey meal is sabotaged. Tonight, we are having my spaghetti with meatball meal while we watch Elf. Buddy the Elf loves spaghetti (although we skip his love for maple syrup on top).

Hallie continues to love Christmas. She frequently points out Frosty, Santa, and any Christmas tree in sight. The other night after shopping she told Chris and I "I want to see Christmas lights!" So, we drove through our snowy town with Christmas music on as she pointed out all the Christmas lights. "Look at the lights, Daddy!" "It's pretty, Daddy!" It was very sweet. Her favorite Christmas movies to watch are Mickey's Christmas Carol and Pluto's Christmas Tree. The Pluto cartoon is just a five-minute clip of Mickey Mouse and Pluto putting up their Christmas tree and Chip and Dale (the chipmunks) surprising them. My brothers and I loved this cartoon when we were little. Hands-down Hallie's favorite Christmas carol is "Deck the Halls." She calls it the "Fa-la-la song" and pretty much sings it all day. And if she wakes up in the middle of the night she sings it then too! She can sing the entire song even parts like "don we now our gay apparel" and "troll the ancient yuletide carol." I am sure she doesn't know what it all means (because I don't even know that).

As I have been listening to Christmas music, I have been thinking about what my favorite albums are. Here are what my top 4 are. Although, I leave them open to changing at any time.

1. Carpenters Christmas Collection
2. Percy Faith Christmas
3. Manheim Steamroller
4. Amy Grant: Home for Christmas

Any Christmas albums you live for?

2 comments:

Mily said...

I know this sounds totally lame, and I think I'm the only one who likes it, but Hilary Duff has a pretty good, perky Christmas Cd. We also love Voicemale and Trans Siberian Orchestra!

Phil and Ronnie said...

I love the Carpenter's Christmas album. My parent's used to play it and it's Christmas to me. Also, we just bought that Disney Christmas DVD... soo many memories! I'm all with you!
You guys look like you are having a WONDERFUL Christmas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails