Saturday, November 28, 2009

recovering

Hello! I'm just recovering-- from vacation and my medical surprise while we were away. Last Thursday night, as I was preparing for our trip, I had terrible pain in my lower abdomen. But it went away within an hour and I didn't think about it again. Until Monday night! I had just taken care of Claire at midnight when I felt the extreme pain again. I immediately took ibuprofen because the pain was so severe. Twenty minutes later, I was throwing up in the toilet. You know how when you are sick enough, vomiting seems okay because at least you feel a little better afterward? Unfortunately, that was not the case this time. The pain was extreme and just unrelenting. I tried to sleep it off a little but by five a.m. I knew that we needed to go to the hospital. Something was terribly wrong. I was frightened to leave and wished that my Mom could come with Chris and I but we needed her home to watch our girls. Chris acted calm and was sweet and assuring as he drove me to the hospital. Just waiting in the emergency room while he filled out paperwork was excruciating. They wheeled me into a triage room and asked me standard questions about my medical history and pain. They asked me how many pregnancies I had and how many were full term. I answered "two" for both. One of the tests they needed me to do was a urine sample. Just sitting up was too much for me and I vomited again from the pain.

Minutes later they informed me that I tested "positive" for an initial pregnancy test. I told Chris it meant I had an ectopic pregnancy and that we wouldn't be able to have this baby. I knew this because two women I had known had this happen and my Mom even mentioned this could be an option while I was in pain at home. After blood test and ultrasound confirmed it, an obstetrician performed emergency surgery.

It hurt worse than delivery and recovery of both my babies. It was like transition labor with Hallie except that in that case it was just contractions. This was just endless pain and pressure and vomiting. There was a lot of pain throughout the entire experience but it is amazing what our bodies can handle. I had a lot of blood loss but the wonderful news is that nothing was damaged and I am recovering well. So, there went over half our vacation and I am sure we will see big dollar signs in medical bills. Yet despite that, Chris and I are humbled by modern medicine. This is something that would have killed me if I lived one hundred years ago. I am thankful for my family and friends who took care of me and for my husband who is so strong. Even as they delivered the news, I was thankful just to know what was going on. Throughout the entire process, I felt strongly that going through this painful process can help me be sympathetic in the future to others who experience something similar.

16 comments:

The Snow Maiden: said...

I am so sorry you had to go through this but so grateful that everything turned out ok. You are an amazing woman with such strength and faith. Thank you for being such a wonderful example!
*HUG*

KBusuego said...

Michelle, I'm so sorry! I am so glad that you are starting to feel better, but I know you went through a lot. My prayers are with you!

David and Haylee Skaggs said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss, but am so thankful to hear that you are doing better and recovering. Your amazing!!!

Camille said...

I can't help but cry thinking about you going through something like that. I'm praying for you and love you tons!

Shanda said...

OH Michelle! That is just rotten! Let me know if you need anything! As soon as Talia is free of pink eye I would love to take Hallie for you or just have you over. What ever sounds good to you!

Shanda

Keri and Neal said...

Holy cow! I can think of 100s of better ways to spend a vacation. I am sorry that you and Chris had to go through all of that. I am glad that things worked out and you were able to get the help you needed. Love you both!

Ashley Webb said...

Oh, Michelle. Glad your OK. Sad your vacation was ruined. (and sad that we never even got to do lunch.) You are such a trooper - I think it's awesome how you have such a good attitude. If I had my vacation ruined by an emergency surgery, you wouldn't find the words "thankful" or "sympathetic" or "wonderful news" in my next blog post. :) Love you.

D and C said...

Michele,
I am so sorry, and as you might remember, I FEEL your pain. I have had TWO surgeries due to this, and it is NOT fun. Because of mine, my tubes are now destroyed which is why we need IVF. NOT FUN, VERY PAINFUL and you should be proud that both you and Chris handled it so well. I am here if you need to chat.
LOVE YOU!

Jillyboo said...

O' my gosh! I am so sorry that all of that had to happen. Its just like you to turn it around and immediately to be grateful and positive. You are a great example to me. I know that your attitude about all of this will be a great source of strength for others, especially me!!!

The Clews Crew said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I am so glad you are okay and that the Lord was looking out for you.

Laura and Corey said...

i just love you guys. that is all.

Kristie K. said...

Michelle, i am at a loss for words, but i just wanted to let you know that i love and admire you and think you are amazing. I will be thinking of you and your family.

Tiffani said...

oh michelle, Im so sorry you had to go through that! I'm so glad you are ok! Hope you recover quickly!

AmberN225 said...

You are so strong. Sorry that you had to have such a hard experience, but thank you for your good example of faith and being ever-positive about whatever life throws you :). You're awesome.

Crazy Black family said...

Oh my goodness, I am glad you are okay. Bridget had the same thing last year and a friend of mine up here too. All of you gals are okay, though, so that's good. :) Sad experience, but glad to hear you're doing well.

Summer said...

How scary for you! I'm glad you're doing ok - what an awful thing to go through. I hope you recover quickly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails