Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

Here are the decorations we had for St. Patrick's Day this year.















The main item I used was 99 cent ribbon from Hobby Lobby that I tied around household items. My green ceramic candle holders were an after-Christmas clearance that Chris pointed out when we were shopping together. So, I used them for St. Patrick's Day and will use them again at Christmas. My sage candle holders (near the apples) were found at a "going out of business" sale of a home decorating shop downtown. They came with pink candles (I plan on using those when I put out Easter decorations this week). The total for all three holders (plus candles) . . . $5.
I shopped on Saturday for our St. Patrick's Day meal. The menu: Irish Hot Pot- boiled cabbage, onion, potatoes, and sausage-- you put butter and salt and pepper on them at the end and it is surprisingly delicious. We have done it for years. Next up, Irish Soda Bread. And for dessert Shamrock Shakes (mint chocolate chip ice cream with milk in a blender). The only problem with the night was . . . I was too tired to make anything and I had to leave early to supervise a church activity. Sweet Chris made us sandwiches for dinner and I was so grateful. So, it will be St. Patrick's Day meal tonight, March 18! Hallie and I did manage to wear green yesterday. And we are both wearing green again today for good measure.
I did have a little boost of energy this morning so I got a lot of needed housework done-- sweeping, vacuuming, mopping . . . I even folded laundry which is one of my least favorite chores to do. It feels good to be sitting in a clean house though. It smells like Mr. Clean Orange and that is a pretty blissful smell if you ask me.
I am plugging away at Hallie's scrapbook. I should totally finish by the end of the week. That will be a great accomplishment for me. I will feature some photos of it in the next couple days.
Well, I miss you family and friends! But life is happy, good, and is moving right along. Cross your fingers that I can keep the house clean before baby comes!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you decorate for ever holiday? I wish I was that creative. I think the only one I decorate for is Christmas!

Unknown said...

I love the shamrock shakes idea! I'll definitely be trying that next year...or maybe as soon as I can get to the store to buy the ice cream! Tickets for Wicked go on sale next month, so I'll let you know when we're planning on going. It would be so fun to see you next time we're there!

karen said...

Don't you love Hobby Lobby ? It's a great place to shop for craft items and they always have 40% coupon online and some great sales, especially 50% off on scrapbook items .

Brit n' Ryan said...

Why do I love you and hate you all at the same time with these holiday posts? I love you because you're you, and you make your home even more beautiful with all your festivities for every holiday! I love that! I hate you because you make me feel so lazy :) I would love to have the energy and creativity to do all that! It's great. I'm already looking forward to seeing your Easter stuff! Love you!

Keri and Neal said...

Love your enthusiasm for the holidays! We had our corned beef with potatos and carrots. When you are folding laudry just keep repeating to yourself, "Nothing says "I love you" like clean underwear!" It's a truth.

Jillyboo said...

i love those jars!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails