Friday, April 15, 2011

Four kids


Chris and I had the opportunity to parent four kids, ages 5, 4, 3, and 2 (almost) for nine days!  Mark and Karen went to Europe and we helped them by watching Amanda and Joe while they were away.  It was such a great learning experience for us as a couple.  We learned so much about accomplishing challenging tasks, the importance of organization, and parenting as one.  The first couple days all four kids were super excited and it was honestly a little chaotic.  I thought it was going to be a fun but long nine days.  But we met together with a family meeting and established our rules.  Let me be clear, Amanda and Joe weren't the only ones that needed the rules.  Our children (namely Hallie) really needed to know what was expected.  Once we eased into our expectations, all of the kids did beautifully!  Our kitchen table (which seats six) was full for nine days and it was fun.  Mark and Karen's kids are so gracious.  I really miss hearing "I love you, Shell!" and "You're the best, Shell!" and "You my best friend, Shell."  They were just as cute to Chris too.  Claire misses having someone other than Mom and Dad who could pick her up whenever she wanted it.  She asked me yesterday "Where Manda?"  When the kids missed their parents (and boy did they) it was special because I got to tell them how much their parents loved them.  I also got to tell them all about their parents as children.  Mark, obviously, is my brother.  But Karen is literally my oldest friend.  We had countless slumber parties from the time we were toddlers on up.  I loved that Hallie and Amanda were getting what Karen and I had when we were little.  One side effect of having a niece and nephew stay with you is your kids start calling you by your first name.  Claire thought it was awesome to refer to me as "Miss-sell."  When Mark and Karen were on their way home Mark asked if I was over it yet.  The answer was "no!"  It was a lot of work but it was really pleasant.  And Mark and Karen will return the favor this summer as Chris and I celebrate our ten year anniversary!  Yay for cousins!

Joe and Claire in their "assigned seats."  This really helped avoid fighting about "that's my spot!"

We loved going places and playing in the backyard.  But sometimes a movie was just what Mom needed.

Coloring was another good go-to activity.

Joe handled being the only boy perfectly.  He always had a car stuffed in his pocket.

Hallie still had preschool while the kids were with us.  Here they wait for her ride.

This is classic Joe.  He is actually feigning sadness though.

That is the Joe we know!

They really get along well.

It looks like Amanda is doing the "Thriller" dance.

It is so great that this group of grandkids is so close in age.

I can't get enough of all those bows!

When Joe arrived, it took him all of two minutes to sort out our "boy toys." 
Our Buzz and Woody were his best friends throughout his stay.

Costco is even more brilliant when you have four kids. 
Although, I did feel fleeting tinges of guilt when I took four samples instead of just two.

Minnie was our fifth child that day.

We spent hours at Chick-Fil-A one day so they could play.

Thank goodness for play lands and backyards!

We're gonna miss that bundle of kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! There are few people who could love my children as much as I do! Thanks Chris and Michelle! Mark and I truly look forward to spending time with Hallie and Claire!

John Skaggs said...

Great post.... I love the way you articulate yourself.

Corey said...

the picture of claire and joseph in their assigned seats- claire looks just like hallie in these pictures! remember when i came to colorado springs and hallie had just turned two? hallie had a little white dress on with her hair in pigtails that is identical to this!

Cuteboutique said...

I loved this post. I never had any doubt that Michelle and Chris would handle 4 children masterfully. Umm...those 4 kids are the cutest chldren ever by the way. And of course I am totally unbiased as their adoring grandmother!

Related Posts with Thumbnails