Friday, July 1, 2011

The Power of Pancakes, part 1- Banana Pancakes

I'm not claiming I'm Cinderella but,these are the daily quotes when my darling girls awake custy-eyed with matted hair:

Hallie: "I'm hungry, Mommy!" followed by "Can I get my own breakfast?"  Hallie's breakfast if she were chef would be chips, fruit snacks, and marshmallows.

Then I enter Claire's room excited to hear:

Claire: "Change my diaper!" followed by "Make me wessus!!"

Since my kids notoriously despise "kid food" and breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I've come to rely on some tried and true breakfast recipes.  In truth, cereal is the staple most days.  And toast is a close runner-up.  However, since they eat like lumberjacks in the morning, I normally have to re-pour cereal and milk multiple times.  I really prefer those blissful mornings when I can toss a pancake like a frisby and cheer when it lands on their plates. 

I was reemeniscing pancake mornings when I counted the different pancake recipes we use.  There are five.  Five pancakes, really?  That is not even counting blueberry or chocolate chip pancakes.  For those we just toss them in the regular batter.  We actually have five unique pancake types I consistently make.  Regular (you know just flour, eggs, sugar, milk, baking powder, etc.), Banana, Gingerbread, Pumpkin, Sour Cream, and Brown Sugar Oatmeal.  Please don't confuse my musings with pancake braggery.  I'm more shocked and a tinge embarassed that I love them so much.

I want you to enjoy the pancake goodness too.

Banana Pancakes
originally found in Betty Crocker Classic Cookbook

These are so moist, you may never want to go back to regular batter (and you will scoff at Bisquick).

2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour (I do half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
2 cups buttermilk (I add lemon juice to regular milk because I never just keep buttermilk stocked)
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4 medium)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat eggs until fluffy.  Add all other ingredient and mix until smooth.  Pour on hot griddle.  Flip.  Eat. 

I don't even have to put butter or syrup on them.  They are that moist and mildly sweet.  But the girls still rejoice in maple syrup so we throw it on for them.

Do enjoy.

2 comments:

jen said...

It's been so long since I have been on here. Your girls have grown so much!!!
Don't be ashamed of the pancake obsession. I totally revel in it. Seriously. When Larry wants to take me out on a date to a nice restaurant the first one that usually pops into mind is IHOP. Pancakes are just that good. I am stoked to use this recipe and am teetering on the edge of my seat for the brown sugar oatmeal ones. Do share!

Phil and Ronnie said...

Mmmmmm- loving your pancake recipe- looks delicious!!
Don't worry with the pancakes... I secretly despise cereal so I'm always looking for something more interesting to eat in the mornings! I'm now curious to see your other recipes!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails