Friday, October 7, 2011

HALLOWEEN approaches

Chris and I love having a child with a fall birthday. Because, after Hallie's birthday . . . the holiday season begins!  First up, Halloween!

Chris and I definitely scaled back with decorations this year.
We normally pull out every fall decoration we own - leaf wreaths, leaf garlands, orange lights.
Then, once Halloween is over, we trade the jack-o-lanterns for turkeys and call it Thanksgiving.
We decided we didn't want to grow sick of all the gorgeous leaves after two months.
So, we decided to save that for the Thanksgiving decorations.
Then they will be crisp and fun.


Let's pretend the smudge-filled mirror was an intentional spooky element.
Even though we all know it's not.
Although, I could swear one of the smudges looks like a witch flying on a broomstick . . .

I love getting out the Halloween books.
Some of our all-time family favorites are stuck in that little pile.

Cobwebs coming soon.
Will they be real or fake? 
Maybe I'll just stop dusting.

This happy haunted house is probably my favorite.
If you light a tealight candle inside, the ghost in the chimney spins.
I had to put it up high because apparently tiny Care Bears have been trying to throw house parties there.
And my girls can't help but lovingly bend the ghost.



Blurry picture - perhaps that adds to the spookiness?
I'll say it does because I can't bear to take another one.

The night we returned from St. George, we started decorating.
We turned on our best Halloween tunes (Harry Potter soundtracks on Pandora).
The girls were as excited to open those boxes as Hallie was to attack birthday presents.



Breaking open the first box.  I was a little excited too!

First we let the girls "decorate."  And then I rearanged the next morning.

Daddy bought us Halloween egg nog (with pumpkin pie spice) and Halloween Oreos.
It was the perfect way to end a festive night!

Let the costumes and cookies and cooking begin!

1 comment:

Summer said...

You guys crack me up...your scaled back decorations are way more than I've ever done. They look awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails