I had a great weekend. Chris abandoned the notion of Mother's Day and went for an all-out Mother's Weekend! On Saturday he took Hallie and I shopping. I had a gift card at Ulta so I had my eyebrows done and bought some nail polish. We had a great lunch at California Pizza Kitchen and then brought Hallie home for a much needed nap. That night we drove around the city and just enjoyed being together as a family. On Sunday Chris made us breakfast of fried eggs, bacon, toast, and orange juice. I sang in a musical number at church. It was SSA with nine singers and a gorgeous cello solo. After church, Chris helped me with dinner. We made Parmesan chicken, Pasta Carbonara, and my Aunt Tina's spinach salad recipe. Chris made us chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert. Chris' Mom and brother Michael came for dinner as well. Hallie loved playing on the back porch with Mike. He was teaching her how to jump and she was giggling the whole time.
In addition to the fun things I did, I received some very nice gifts this weekend. Chris picked out bouquets of purple irises and white carnations and made two arrangements for me. I also got earrings to match my birthday necklace. Our big splurge was a new set of stainless steel pots and pans. This doesn't classify as a splurge as much though because we have been saving up for them. We just happened to get them the day before Mother's Day.


In addition to the fun things I did, I received some very nice gifts this weekend. Chris picked out bouquets of purple irises and white carnations and made two arrangements for me. I also got earrings to match my birthday necklace. Our big splurge was a new set of stainless steel pots and pans. This doesn't classify as a splurge as much though because we have been saving up for them. We just happened to get them the day before Mother's Day.
In the spirit of Mother's Day, I want to highlight the great mothers in my life. They all have innumerable great qualities. I will try to highlight just one each:
Mom-- My mom has the greatest ability to love anyone! She always loves everyone that she associates with whether it be from work, school, or church. She is a loyal friend to others. And besides Chris, my mom is my best friend.
Mom Hinkson-- This mom is the most sincere, forgiving person I can think of. She doesn't hold grudges-- they are against her nature. She is loving and accepting and such a good example to me.
Grandma Skaggs-- My grandma has the golden gift of optimism. She makes every occasion brighter with her sparkling countenance and contagiously caring disposition. I have consciously tried to copy her my entire life. And I feel proud when I give an enthusiastic greeting and am reminded of my grandma.
Grandma Allen-- This grandma has the gift of grace. She keeps her home and appearance beautiful all the time. Her grace carries over in the way she seeks out others in need. She visits older ladies in a retirement home several times a week and does their hair and nails and just talks to them.
Grandma Hinkson-- This grandma is a go-getter. She is active and vibrant and always serving. She is so active that she gets up in the wee hours of the morning, before the sun gets up to exercise her body with brisk walks around the neighborhood and park.
One similar thing about all three grandmothers is they are all constantly in motion. None are satisfied sitting still and they are constantly tending to their homes and the people they love.
Thank you to the dear mothers in my life. Thank you to my aunts, friends, and church leaders who are also great examples of motherhood to me.
And to my daughter . . .

Mom-- My mom has the greatest ability to love anyone! She always loves everyone that she associates with whether it be from work, school, or church. She is a loyal friend to others. And besides Chris, my mom is my best friend.
Mom Hinkson-- This mom is the most sincere, forgiving person I can think of. She doesn't hold grudges-- they are against her nature. She is loving and accepting and such a good example to me.
Grandma Skaggs-- My grandma has the golden gift of optimism. She makes every occasion brighter with her sparkling countenance and contagiously caring disposition. I have consciously tried to copy her my entire life. And I feel proud when I give an enthusiastic greeting and am reminded of my grandma.
Grandma Allen-- This grandma has the gift of grace. She keeps her home and appearance beautiful all the time. Her grace carries over in the way she seeks out others in need. She visits older ladies in a retirement home several times a week and does their hair and nails and just talks to them.
Grandma Hinkson-- This grandma is a go-getter. She is active and vibrant and always serving. She is so active that she gets up in the wee hours of the morning, before the sun gets up to exercise her body with brisk walks around the neighborhood and park.
One similar thing about all three grandmothers is they are all constantly in motion. None are satisfied sitting still and they are constantly tending to their homes and the people they love.
Thank you to the dear mothers in my life. Thank you to my aunts, friends, and church leaders who are also great examples of motherhood to me.
And to my daughter . . .

Dear Hallie,
Thank you for making my dreams of motherhood come true by coming to our family. You are more than I dreamed of. I love being your mom and friend. It thrills me to hear you say "Luv lou Mommy" or to get one of your wet kisses or full-body hugs. I am so excited to be your mom for the rest of your life and into eternity. You are a special soul and I am honored to teach you things I have learned about life, love, and most importantly faith in family and our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. I love you!
Love, Mommy
Finally, continuing in the spirit of motherhood, check out my two favorite recent talks about motherhood from church authorities:
Mothers Who Know, by Julie B. Beck
Daughters of God, by M. Russell Ballard
Their words excite and inspire me!
Thank you for making my dreams of motherhood come true by coming to our family. You are more than I dreamed of. I love being your mom and friend. It thrills me to hear you say "Luv lou Mommy" or to get one of your wet kisses or full-body hugs. I am so excited to be your mom for the rest of your life and into eternity. You are a special soul and I am honored to teach you things I have learned about life, love, and most importantly faith in family and our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ. I love you!
Love, Mommy
Finally, continuing in the spirit of motherhood, check out my two favorite recent talks about motherhood from church authorities:
Mothers Who Know, by Julie B. Beck
Daughters of God, by M. Russell Ballard
Their words excite and inspire me!
6 comments:
Great blog Michelle! I always love reading your blogs...they are so good! I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day. I have to say, we were awesome at singing! :)
aww.. a wonderful mothers day. i'm glad that chris did a weekend for you. you deserve it :) ohh hallie is so cute.. her hair is getting long....
Make me cry why don't you!!! As I was reading your letter to Hallie, I was thinking how she made my dreams come true too! She will always be my very first baby! Happy Mother's Day!
Dear Shelley,
Your blog is wonderful. Thanks for reminding me to check it today. I will always be in awe of my talented, beautiful, exceptional daughter. Your tribute to the mothers in your life made my Mother's Day. Your letter to little Hallie was my favorite part. I can't wait for her to be able to read it! But then another part of me wants to be able to re-wind time on demand so as to re-live all the precious moments. I love you and I am so grateful that you are our little girl!
Very sweet post! So glad you had a wonderful week-end!
You know how to make this Skaggs girl cry. Just talk about moms, Grandma Skaggs and sweet little Hallie/being a mom! That was a great post! Good job Chris with making such a wonderful mother feel loved and appreciated!
Post a Comment