Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Big Brother!


Lots of people have the dream of their ideal family. I've heard many a friend say they wanted to have a boy first so subsequent siblings could have an older brother that was protective and strong. Well, that is just what I got. I grew up with the best older brother, Mark. He was a mere eighteen months older but he has always been eons older in maturity.
Mark taught me my colors and numbers. He encouraged me to be good. Our competitive natures led me to be a better piano player, a better reader, and a better singer. One thing I love about Mark is that he hasn't changed much. His loves now are much the same as his loves at six-years-old: sports, music, Star Wars, mountains, news, history, snow, family, his wife (they've had crushes on each other since they were born). Once when we were little Mark read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to me in one night. He let me sleep on his floor whenever I was scared (although he later claimed there was a tarantula under his bed).
I idolized him. When he was the lead in the play Oliver at school there was no one who could match my beaming smile on the playground. Mark was a diligent example of scripture study and journal writing when we were young. Once a Sunday School teacher asked me if I could believe that an angel would visit an adolescent boy and I answered "yes" because I could believe it. I felt that my big brother was worthy for it, so I knew Joseph Smith was. One of my favorite memories is of a recurring ritual that took place at night. As we were lying in bed across the hall from each other he would quickly mutter "Michelle?" "Yeah," I would reply. "Just checking to see if you were awake" he would respond.
I cried when he went away to BYU. He was my best friend and those first months away I ached for him. I will never forget the surprise and honor I felt when he surprised us with a Thanksgiving visit from college and mine was the first door he knocked on late at night. Now Mark is married, with a great job, and two gorgeous children. But he is still true to his role as my big brother. He still calls to check up on me and encourages me in all I do. I love you Mark. I wouldn't want to do this life without you.








6 comments:

celesteb said...

You make me cry with your birthday, mother's day and father's day tributes.

I remember you guys just the way you were in some of these older pictures. I haven't seen you guys all growed up!!

I will have to stop by Mark's facebook page and wish him a Happy Birthday!

Mark, Karen, Amanda & Joseph Skaggs said...

Thanks Michelle. I appreciate your kind words. You are a wonderful sister. Thanks again

katherinejewel said...

That just brought tears to my eyes! Mark is soo awesome and you are soo lucky to have a big brother like him! I wish I had an older brother like that... Oh, wait, I do!! :)

Mily said...

Michelle you have such a great way of writing!!!! Your tributes to your family are always so touching and I can feel the love you have for your brother by the way you write. He totally looks like Sean Astin!!!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Seriously, everytime I see Rudy or The Lord of the Rings I tear up because I think it is my brother on the screen.

AmberN225 said...

I just have to say that in the first picture in this post - where you are really young - I can totally see Hallie in your little face! Very cute - and I like your idea of doing little tributes. What a great way to acknowledge those special days. I might steal it :).

Related Posts with Thumbnails