Friday, August 15, 2008

Part 1, Idaho

We had a great vacation. I don't even know where to begin posting! We had a great time in Idaho and Utah. We got to see lots of family. We were bummed we missed out on seeing some great friends. But, due to disorganization on my part and good-old fashioned "not enough time" we were unable to see all the people we would have loved to see.

We started our trip with a journey back to our college town of Rexburg, Idaho. We left our house at 4am in hopes that the early hour and dark outside would induce Hallie to stay sleeping. Wrong! Hallie was wide-eyed the entire time. We are thankful for the suggestions of several friends and family who said a portable DVD player was a must. We made the small investment and are grateful we did. Except for two mini-meltdowns we had a happy baby the entire trip. The drive to Rexburg is so nice because western Wyoming is exceptionally beautiful.

When we finally arrived in Rexburg we were tired but grew quickly invigorated because it was so fun to be back in a place we called home for two and a half years. There were so many changes we couldn't believe it.

Staying with Dan and Jessica was so fun. It was our first time meeting our nephew Danny. He is such an adorable boy. I am awed by what a patient, calm mom Jessica is. She is such a natural. The downside of our time in Idaho was the short duration we were there. Because I only had so much time off of work, we had to squeeze Rexburg into one day. So, our visit with Chris' brother Dan was limited to only a couple hours. But those were great hours Dan! We had fun chatting and drinking IBC root beer. Chris and Dan have a certain "brotherly humor" that gets them going with the same laugh. It is fun to watch.

It was so wonderful to visit campus. I was emotional walking through the old buildings because it was such a symbol of how hard Chris and I have worked to get where we are. We spent many humble hours cleaning those buildings and landscaping those grounds (in Chris' case) to earn money. We also learned and grew so much within those walls.

I was moved to tears to find my grandfather's book Roger Williams' Dream for America in the school library. I submitted the book for the library collection days before I graduated and mere months before my grandfather passed. I told my grandpa that I turned in his book the last time I saw him and he was so pleased.

Chris and I were eager to recreate a picture we took on our last day in Rexburg two years ago. Just moments after I turned in my last final Chris took a picture of me eight months pregnant with the Taylor building in the background. We couldn't wait to retake the picture with Hallie in person. It was hillarious because we couldn't get Hallie to cooperate. We couldn't help but laugh because isn't that what parenting is really all about?

August 15, 2006
July 31, 2008

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Great picture! And so true about children not cooperating. And funny. It's a shame we missed you. Maybe next time you're in town you might have a couple more days to lounge and visit. We would LOVE to have you come and visit us.
I'm glad to hear you are home safe and your journeyings went well.
Much love!
~Lisa

The Wimpy Mother said...

I love the before and after picture at the Taylor building. I realized that I moved away before we both got really pregnant. :( You pictures of your trip got me soo excited to go out this this december. The weather won't be as nice though :( UGH, I don't miss the idaho winter. We will be spending a lot of time in Park City also. I love it there- even if it is usually covered in snow. I'd rather go to the Park City outlet mall than disney world!

Related Posts with Thumbnails