Friday, May 8, 2009

The GRANDEST Mother

With Mother's Day approaching, and a newborn in our home again, I am already in such a reflective mood. However, on Wednesday, my sweet Grandma Nelly suffered a minor stroke. Although she is expected to recover well, I hate that she is couped up in a hospital room thousands of miles away. I have been looking through these pictures of my Grandmother when she was a young mother like myself.
















Isn't she enchanting?
She takes my breath away.


I love her hair, and her dresses, and her lipstick, and her smile. I love that she is reading with her kids, and baking with them, and holding them. It's easy to imagine what type of mother she was because she has always been such an incredible grandmother.

I love her so much I ache.

This is the mother of nine children. After I gave birth to my first child, one of my first thoughts was "my grandma did this NINE times." When I am up late at night with a screaming infant I think "my grandma did this NINE times!"

And you should see how her children turned out! Each person is a loving, caring, contributing member of society.



My Grandma has a distinct cheerfulness. She has a bubbly warmth when she talks to you-- and particularly when she talks to children. Sometimes, as I am answering the phone or talking before a large group of people I recognize her voice in my own speaking. I have to say . . . nothing could thrill me more.

9 comments:

Kathryn Skaggs said...

Oh Michelle, this is beautiful. I too, have written about "Grandma Skaggs" and her many gifts on my grandparenting blog, "The LDS GrandParent Place".

Nellie is a wonderful example to all of us, of one who epitomizes Christ-like mothering.

She is dearly loved, by all of her children.

tDMg
Aunt Kathryn

Mily said...

Michelle, you always write the most sincere, touching posts about people. I love that about you. I hope your Grandma gets well soon. And I love that picture of you both. You are some styling ladies that is for sure! :)

Laura and Corey said...

your grandmother is amazing! she was always so sweet to me each time i saw her. we are praying for her speedy and complete recovery.

Ashley Webb said...

I guess my comment on the last post was a few hours too early! I love her too. I still remember things that she taught in RS when I was home and how much love she has jammed into her tiny little body. She amazes me too.

Brit n' Ryan said...

You take the words right out of my mouth, or the thoughts right out of my head... but you say it so beautifully! I often reflect on how blessed I am to be from such an amazing family, Grandma is a beautiful woman and great example in so many ways. I can empathize with you when you say "I love her so much I ache" and I too wish I could be closer, especially at a time like this. We are so blessed to have such an amazing Grandmother, and I see so much of her in you :) Thanks for this post. Love you!

Steve and Jennette said...

I loved looking at these old photos of Grandma again so thanks for posting them. We are so blessed to have her.

Meghan said...

Hey, I found your blog via facebook. I am sad to hear about your grandma Skaggs. I seriously love her. She is so sweet and I hope she is doing well.
-Meghan Jones Caldwell

Ken & Beth Howard said...

Oh Michelle, this brought tears to my eyes. I love your grandma. She's one of the sweetest people I've ever met. I hope she recovers fast. I had no idea your dad had so many siblings! Holy cow, how'd she do it?=)

Crazy Black family said...

Sad to hear about her stroke, but glad she is expected to recover. She's seriously such a neat woman! :) I'm glad to say I know her.

Related Posts with Thumbnails