Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Plastic Bag Princess

Hallie's "trashtastic" get-up started from a simple activity. I let her paint with water colors. So, I laid down a plastic bag to protect our kitchen table. After our paintings were hanging and drying, Hallie was holding up the plastic bag and told me it was her "beautiful" dress. I thought "Well, yes we could make a beautiful dress out of that." And the plastic bag princess was born. After I made her dress, she asked for a necklace. After her necklace, she asked for a crown. (It was very much like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie). Her dress and sash are Hefty brand. And her necklace and crown are courtesy of Albertson's. She asked me later for slippers and a wand but I was plum out of plastic bag ingenuity.

I was pondering what type of mother I was (you know, that I let my little one run around in trash bags) when I thought of the book, The Paper Bag Princess. It is a wonderful children's book about a princess who has a great sense of self-worth. She uses her wits to outsmart a dragon and save a prince who then criticizes her for wearing a paper bag (her royal clothes were charred by the dragon). The paper bag princess realizes that it doesn't matter if she looks regal or not, she is still a princess and capable of marvelous things. And thankfully she dumps that whining Prince Ronald. So, here my friends is my perfect plastic bag princess.










And also for your viewing and listening pleasure we present The Plastic Bag Princess: The Concert. I considered editing but I didn't want you to miss one vibrato-laden moment. When Chris watched this yesterday he said "Gee, do you think our child has a future in musical theater?" She already has her Ethel Merman impression nailed.




20 comments:

Heather said...

OH my goodness!! I saw you post the link on facebook and I just had to check it out and I am SOOO glad I did! First off, she is adorable! Second, she knows like all the words (trust me I am an avid Disney fan and she totally got it all right). Third, she actually can carry a tune, she did great. I loved the vibrato she added in. Oh my gosh she's so funny and I loved this! Thanks for sharing!

The Clews Crew said...

Wow! She has an amazing voice for a 3 year old. Seriously, that was great! And I love the plastic bag dress. What a good imagination!

Jillyboo said...

That was maybe the cutest thing I have ver seen. Ella watched it with me and begged for a dress and crown just like her's.

And what a memory she has! I dont even think I could sing every word of that song, in fact Im sure I can not.

What a cutie you have!!

Kayla said...

oh my goodness. i was laughing so hard. she is growing up way to fast. She has such a good voice for a 3 year old. TOO CUTE.

Donna said...

oh my gosh!!! Can I steal her PLEASE!??!?! SO STINKIN cute! I was totally laughing out loud watching that video!! SHe even uses vibratto! Just so you know, I am totally coming to CO and going to kidnap her! PRICELESS! She deffinitly has her mom's personality! and she sings with "perfect Hermany!" LOVIN IT! That post totally made my day! PS The Paper Bag Princes is one of my all time favorite books! I even used it for the theme of girls camp this past year!

Stephanie said...

My 6 year old was very impressed and was inspired to start her own living room concert and even try the vibrato! Go Haille!! I love that she even sang the little back-up parts in between. :-)

Dan and Jess said...

what a funny girl! :)

Laura and Corey said...

that is the best thing i have ever seen! her vibrato is hysterical though my favorite part is your stifled laughter as you record every moment of glory!

Lois Lane said...

OMGdness! You are awesome mom for letting your lttle girl run around in a trash bag!

Ken & Beth Howard said...

Oh Michelle! She's too cute! Kenny & Maeli loved watching this!=)

Mily said...

You'd better get Hallie a manager!!! She'd darling! What a great memory she has! I can't believe she sang that whole thing. I loved the video and all the voices she did.

Deb said...

Oh my gosh! She is absolutely adorable! She really puts her all into it, doesn't she! :o) Makes you just want to give her a great big hug! Thanks for sharing that!

Dan and Kaylene said...

Amazingly presh!

Anonymous said...

This is Justine Ballard. Oh my goodness, that is the cutest thing I've ever seen! I love having a baby, but I must say I can't wait till she gets to be this age and does cute things like that:) PS - I hope you don't mind if I add a link to your blog on to mine.

Ashley Webb said...

that is incredible!! i cannot believe her!! we can't even get brooklyn to sing "book of mormon stories" and we sing it with them every single night. i wish that show "starsearch" was still around so you could put her on it. :)

D and C said...

She is darling. What a fun mom you are. Seriously. That is a fun idea. SO CUTE!

Liz and Brian said...

I have a whole new respect for you as a mother Michelle!!! I was having the worst day ever and your little princess gave me quite the laugh! Perfect hermony!!! Love it! Post more!!

brittany said...

love it...she is truly amazing. I especially love the "hermony" :)

Katie Clifford said...

They are going to LOVE her in Primary!!! I would so put her in for a solo of her very own! She is sooo adorable!

Marlaine said...

As Hallie's grandmother and mother of her equally precocious and talented Mommy, I have first dibs to be Miss Hallie Hinkson's show biz manager! Hallie's cousin Amanda and I watched the video over and over and over again per Amanda's request.

Related Posts with Thumbnails