Friday, October 30, 2009

My Great Treasure

Would you like to see one of my most treasured pictures of all?



This is Grandma and Grandpa Skaggs with two-week-old baby Hallie.

In early 2006, doctors discovered a large tumor in my grandfather's bladder. In June of that year, he went in to have the tumor removed. After several hours, the doctors reported that Grandpa was recovering but that they did not remove the tumor. It was too large and it would have been unsafe. When my Mom gave me that phone call my life changed forever. I knew it meant Grandpa's time on earth was very limited. I can recall vividly the grief I felt that day. I remember what it felt like to be six months pregnant and to ball up in a fetal position on the couch just sobbing. It was one of the hardest days of my life.

One week later, I flew from Idaho to California and visited Grandpa who was recovering from surgery in the hospital. The things I most remember from that visit are 1.) how many times he told me I looked beautiful, 2.) how many times he asked other people "Doesn't Michelle look beautiful?" 3.) How proud he was that I was awarded a full-paid scholarship for my last semester of college 4.) How he asked other people if they had heard about my scholarship 5.) his frail shoulders under his hospital gown 6.) and what an honor it was to spoon ice chips into his mouth.

The summer progressed and so did my pregnancy. I couldn't attend our family reunion that August because I was too pregnant to travel that far. On September 21, our little Hallie was born. The following day was the last day my Grandpa climbed the stairs in his home. He made the journey upstairs to add Hallie Laine's name to our family history files. My parents informed me that his health was rapidly declining and encouraged me to visit when possible. At first, we were planning to come down for Thanksgiving. But Chris and I felt strongly that we needed to fly home right away. That was one of the best decisions we've ever made. Hallie was just two weeks old when she took her first plane ride.

The treasured picture is from Hallie's baby blessing. Our family gathered in my grandparent's living room. In a standard baby blessing, men stand in a circle and hold the baby. But in this case, dining room chairs were placed in a circle and the men sat to accommodate Grandpa in his wheel chair.

The last day I saw my grandfather was that Monday. We chatted in the living room as he sat as comfortably as possible in a wing back chair. After a time, he grew weary and retired to the bedroom. I didn't know if he would sleep right away and I didn't know if I could see him before he left, so I stood up and gave him a quick hug. As I pulled away from the hug I could tell he was in pain. The cancer by that time was deep in his leg bone. Yet he didn't utter a word of complaint and did everything to hide it from his face.

Several minutes later, when Grandpa was settled in his bed, he called for our little family. Chris and I scooted into the room with Hallie in her infant seat. We spent twenty minutes engaging in the most beautiful dialogue. I told Grandpa that he was one of my best friends. I told him I would miss him for my entire life. I told him what an honor it was to grow up so close to him and to sit next to him in church and hold his hand. He told me that he wished Grandma was in the room to hear all those beautiful things because they were even more beautiful when shared with a spouse. I told him how thankful I was that he wrote such a beautifully detailed autobiography-- that some nights I stayed up late reading it because it was like I could hear his voice across the miles. He told me how much he loved me and how proud he was of me and he said beautiful things about Chris. He loved Chris. I kissed him and hugged him continuously. I left the room feeling refreshed. I knew it was the last time I would see him. And even though it was much too soon, I had closure. He was still lucid and bright, loving and dignified. And he stayed that way until the last breath.

Several weeks later, I called him on a Thursday night. His voice was cracked and hoarse. But I got to tell him I loved him and how much I loved being a mother. And he told me he loved me. Friday night he drifted into an unconscious state and on Sunday morning we received the call. That was three years ago yesterday.

When we received Hallie's first birthday card from Grandma Skaggs it said "Happy Birthday Hallie! I am so happy Grandpa got to meet you!" I cried with both sadness and joy.

And here we are three years later. At first, I would think of him and cry. It wasn't just tender-- it was a gaping, aching wound kind of tender. Now, I still feel sadness but it is much easier. More than any other feeling, I feel gratitude. How was I so lucky to be born in to such a family? How was I so privileged to get such wonderful grandparents? How was I so lucky to have them at every high school performance? How was I so lucky to get a good farewell with him-- to say everything I needed to say? How am I so blessed to know that he will be my grandfather forever and that I will see him again someday. What a gift.

Hallie just saw me crying and asked what's wrong. I told her I was thinking of my grandpa. She gently stroked my arm and said in a slow, tender way "Oh Mom, do you miss your grandpa?" Grandpa would have loved that.

11 comments:

Becky and Steve said...

That was so sweet of you to share a tender moment like that. I have tears in my eyes as I read this.

BubbaandM said...

Thank you so much for sharing this sacred experience. I enjoyed reading every moment. My heart is full and my cheeks wet. Your grandpa was an amazing man. I remember when I was a little girl and when I heard him speak in church I asked my mom if he was the Prophet. He had a distinctive voice and I loved to listen to him. I will always remember when we went to Mormon night at Angel statium when we were in the youth program and watching your grandma and grandpa holding hands as we walked in. That was such a significant moment to me and made a huge impact on my life. I knew that I could have that too someday!

Crazy Black family said...

Yay Grandpa Skaggs. I'm glad you got to see him before he was gone. AWESOME guy. And you're a great person, so you totally deserved being a part of his family. :D Thanks for giving me a good cry. LOL.

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Thanks Steph and Marianne. It is expecially comforting to hear comments from people who knew him well. He would be super proud to hear your comments. I'll make sure Grandma knows.

And thanks for your sweet words, Becky.

Mark, Karen, Amanda & Joseph Skaggs said...

Well done Michelle. Please make sure Grandma has a copy of your essay are a link to it. She would appreciate it. Love you!

Ashley Webb said...

Michelle,
You made me cry. I remember my mom calling me and telling me too, and it was a comfortable sadness because I had no doubt that he was warm and welcome in Heavenly Father's arms. What a truly wonderful person. He gave me my Patriarchal Blessing and he felt like a grandpa to me too. I'm so glad you have those last memories of him, you're right - what a gift.

Kathryn Skaggs said...

Such a beautiful tribute, Michelle. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings about Grandpa Skaggs, so freely. He blessed so many lives:)

Love,
Aunt Kathryn

Brit n' Ryan said...

Michelle, you always do such a beautiful job at these posts, you're great with words. I read this this morning and I was so emotional I couldn't really comment. It's amazing how much he could love! You were special to him, and he let you know it. I know I was special to him, and he showed that to me too. I know with all the other members in our large family, he did the same for each individual. Such a loving and wonderful man! How blessed we are that we get to be with him forever! I, like you, will always keep sweet memories close to my heart and always feel blessed that he was such an influence in my life. Love you :) Thanks for this post.

Kayla said...

Wow Michelle.. This really surfaces all the tender feelings I have felt the past three years. This is amazing. i miss him so bad.Love you.

Kristi Sexton said...

Sweet Michelle, your words have touched my heart, and my tear ducts! I sit here writing this to you with a full heart remembering your grandfather! He was an AMAZING man. With my husband being a non-member, he always went out of his way, to greet and say hello to Dan, and it wasn't in a passive way. Your Grandfather talked to Dan as though he was truly interested in what he was saying, and remembered from conversation to conversation those talks. He gave my sweet Cassie her patriarchal blessing, what an amazing man he was. I loved him so. Your words are perfect.....and should be placed somewhere in your family history pages to be shared later, when Hallie and Claire are older.

Marlaine said...

Daughter Dearest, your tribute to Grandpa was eloquent, endearing and edifying. Thank you for putting into words what I have been feeling and reminding us all of the blessing he was and is in our lives. Like you, I will miss him until we meet again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails