Wednesday, January 6, 2010

eight months old


Claire is eight months old. So many things have happened in her last month and a half of life. She started her eighth month having never had a bottle in her life. Now, she only drinks a bottle. Between surgery and recovery my food supply for her diminished quickly and we both really struggled to get her the amount of food she needed. I nursed Hallie a full year so I was very hesitant to cut Claire off at seven and a half months. After some tears (from both of us) we switched to the bottle and have been happy ever since. I am happy I could nurse both my babies but having Claire on a bottle equals freedom for me. Before bottles, life was measured by when I needed to feed Claire again. Now, I can go as I please and my sweet, willing husband feeds Claire a bottle while I grocery shop (or see New Moon again). And guess what? Claire loves me just as much. (I honestly worried about how our bond would be. Silly, huh?)


Claire is just like her sister with crawling-- it hasn't even crossed her mind yet. In order to get from point A to point B, rolling does the trick. Or, she can just look at Mom with her helpless big eyes and start to shed tears and Mom simply picks her up and answers all requests. (I admittedly spoil Claire rotten with all the holding).

Claire has a sudden interest in toys and finds great joy in biting and shaking them. When reading lately, it is a competition between who can be heard louder, Claire or Mom. She gets so excited that we are reading she talks through the entire story and slaps the book repeatedly.

Claire recently learned how to clap and it has become the new favorite pastime. She loves any song that involves clapping like "Five Little Monkeys" or "Patty Cake." If you clap, she gives you huge grins and joins in. She will also clap on command if you say "yay!" She even says "yay!" too but it comes out as a soft "ehhhhh."

Claire received her first tooth days before turing eight months old. Now she has two cute bottom teeth that make her look more grown-up. I cried the first time I discovered her little white pearl poking through. It is such a little milestone that illustrates babies aren't as little anymore.


Even though Claire has always been a happy child, her laughs were very few and far between. They were so rare, we wanted to alert the media when it happened. Recently, Claire learned how to do a laugh that sounds like a fake cough. She does this frequently to show her pleasure. On Christmas Eve, Claire was so excited about life we thought she must sense something exciting was happening. Apparently, that is the new Claire. She has been a happy, go-lucky baby every day since. She has always been a laid-back sweetheart, but she has a new energy and enthusiasm for life.


Recently, Claire has become more and more attached to her Daddy. She leans her head on him when he holds her and cries when he leaves the room. The other night I was giving her a bottle. She cried every single time Chris walked by the room (which was three or four times by the end of the bottle). She finally was at peace when he came in the room and stayed there.


Our little baby's personality is emerging more and more and her little spirit is starting to contribute to the family dynamic. She's not just the cute little blob in a baby swing anymore. She is an active, happy participant who looks around, absorbs everything and tries to add her say. She adds color and beauty to our life and we truly would not be the same without her. We love you, Claire.

1 comment:

Marlaine said...

Thank you for the update on our precious Claire! I miss her and Hallie and of course you and Chris tons.

Related Posts with Thumbnails