I had a fantastic birthday at the beginning of January that I've been too busy to blog about. The funny thing about turning 28 is that about halfway through last year I honestly forgot how old I was and told people I was "28" when they asked. One day I finally did the math and realized I was 27 and had wasted six months telling the wrong age! So, now that I am 28, I am sort of used to it already! To me the late twenties are just plain fantastic. My early twenties were definitely a sweet time of bliss and love for Chris and I. But in some ways, I was so eager to finish my degree and so excited to start our family that they were a little rushed. But my late twenties are a great time because I know myself better and I am more comfortable in life. I think the thirties will be even better. But I know these will always be special years in my life because they were the years when my children were babies.
My birthday this year was, as usual, spread out into several fun days. (I am spoiled, I know).
On Saturday, Mom H. watched our girls so Chris and I could have a super date. We first went shopping at one of my favorite home decorating stores (Real Deals) where I picked out some cute Valentine's Day decorations and purchased a heavily clearanced nativity set. Next up, we parked downtown and enjoyed the architecture and atmosphere while we walked hand in hand. We went to my favorite local bookstore, Poor Richard's. For lunch, we had the tastiest hamburgers at Giuseppe's Old Depot Restaurant, a renovated Denver-Rio Grande railway station, where we watched four trains roll by. After lunch, we went to the Pioneer Museum to look at the exhibits. We love that old buidling and the cool artifiacts and art within it. We also stopped by Montaque's Parlour, a tea shop at the edge of downtown. Chris ordered a chocolate pastry and I had cinnamon cardamom herbal tea.
That night, two of my girlfriends (Chris and Melissa) and I went out to eat at The Elephant Bar. I love that restaurant! We talked and laughed and then went to Chris' house and talked some more. It was a blast.
On Sunday, Mom H. made me my birthday dinner. I can't even begin to tell you the deliciousness of her chile rellenos. I love them so much, I could eat a pan right now! We chowed down on her amazing meal and had birthday cake and lots of fun.
On Monday, my real birthday, Chris surprised me with the day off work! I slept in, took a bubble bath, then dined on my traditional birthday breakfast of Krispie Kream donuts. Then, we went shopping and had lunch at Red Robin where I had a free burger and ice cream because it was my birthday. Hallie ate my birthday ice cream because I was saving up to go to Cold Stone for my free birthday ice cream (sign up online for birthday clubs to both locations). In the afternoon, I worked and then in the evening we went shopping again at Target. At the close of the night, I opened my gifts. It was a fun, sweet, family day.
I have so many blessings in my life. But my greatest blessings are the people I share it with. I am so thankful for the family I grew up in, married into, and am currently raising. I have incredible friends back home and new, fun friends in Colorado. All these people are the greatest birthday presents I could have.
4 comments:
Wow - how fun!! I'm glad you're enjoying 28! :) The room turned out amazing, by the way. Your kids are absolutely precious.
Yay! Happy Birthday Michelle! I, too, lose track of how hold I am. I think it has something to do with having an older husband. I always thing I'm as old as him, but I'm not. Reading about all of the fun things you did in Colorado Springs made me kinda nostalgic. I love all of those places!
Michelle, I am so in awe of your positive outlook on EVERYTHING. You are so inspirational and I am so thankful to know you. xoxox
Happy late birthday Michelle! What a fun day! You're an incredible woman and I look up to you so much. Chris and I sure miss your family :)
Post a Comment