Both my sweet daugthers are screaming right now. Claire is in her crib, crestfallen that I would part from her to make her nap. Hallie is on her bed, furious that I am so "mean" to her. She told our store checker "Help! Help me! She keeps yelling at me. She's being mean to me. I need help!" The reality= I had more composure than a Buckingham Palace guard. Another reality= I used every parenting technique I learned in my 28 units of college child development courses. I tried ignoring, distracting, hugging, pep talks, giving her choices, and trust me when I say I tried to get in and out of the store as quick as possible. When her tantrum first broke, I tried to nip it by packing up our shared happy meal and heading straight to the car. But the reality is, Claire needs formula to survive and despite my planning, we were fresh out. So, after ten minutes of getting screamed at in the car, I had to cart my two cuties back into Wal-Mart (an already stressful place in my opinion).
The moral of the story is life is filled with realties, both bitter and sweet. Despite all my techniques and bucket loads of prayers, my babies are their own little people and will make their own choices. But, not a day goes by that I don't burst with love for these kids. I've waited to be their mom my entire life and now their childhood is sweeping by faster than any time in life before. So, I'll take the bitter with the sweet.
Besides, these moments make for great stories!
7 comments:
Wow, that is inspiring! Thanks for sharing that experience.
Hahaha, that story about Hallie in the store is hilarious! I've had those moments too, every mother has. Afterward it's funny, but in the moment it's desperation. lol :) I love your two cuties too!
You are an amazing mother. I am with you, part of motherhood is crazy. Good for you for taking a moment to get away.
And i have asked great moms why their kids were so great, and their answer is always the same. Beacuse they are mean moms ;)
And ps, i see that angela kerr is a follower?!? did you know she is grady's cousin and i love her to pieces. I didn't know that she knew you. small world
ignore the ps. I click on two different blogs and i am going crazy. it was one of those kinda days for me too.
Wow Michelle... that's exactly what I needed to hear right now. You are so right... they are their own little people and I can't squish them into my little mold for them. They are individuals with concerns and needs. BOth my kiddos are crying right now- Ivy's in her room, and Dean just barely stopped. Thanks for sharing such a personal moment at the right time. You are inspired. I'm going to go hug my daughter now...
Wow! These moments do make for good stories later on. I'm sure both you and Hallie will laugh when she's older about how she told the store checker you were mean to her.
Side question, are you guys up at that woodland park mexican restaurant?
Oh boy, did I need to read this post today. Glad it's not just me.
Post a Comment