Thursday, September 23, 2010

Our new family room!

After weeks of talking about it . . . and even more time executing it . . .  Chris and I are proud to present our new family room!  We love this new room.  It is peaceful and serene and represents the best of us.  Chris custom built those bookshelves.  I drew a picture of what I thought we could do.  He added to the picture and executed something incredible.  Someone I know asked a contractor for an estimate on a similar project . . . the estimate was $2,000.  We thought perhaps we could buy some pre-done IKEA bookshelves.  That would have been at least $800.  Even Walmart or Target bookshelves wouldn't have looked near this and may have been $500.  Chris bought the lumber and we painted the entire room for less than $300.  And I can't tell you how accomplished we feel.  I also can't tell you how much more in love I am with this guy.  He can build me stuff!  I sewed the pillows.  We both painted . . . and painted . . . and painted.  It took lots of problem solving and lots of idea bouncing.  And it was totally worth it!  That being said . . . it is not 100% complete.  We will still be adding moulding to the fireplace surround and the wall underneath it.  We also will be switching those brass bars on the fireplace that scream 90s (this place was built in '99).  And we want to get our family picture taken and printed on a large black and white canvas for over the fireplace. This place is so serene and beachy cool, we aren't even tempted to decorate for fall yet!

For now, I will just share the "after" pictures.  I plan to document the journey in later posts.  But, I must leave you with at least one "before" so you can see the massive difference.

BEFORE: sort of a collegiate meets african safari look . . .


And now . . .










12 comments:

Hinkson Family said...

Michelle, that looks awesome! You have quite an eye for decoration. I am trying to redo our living room. Maybe I'll send you some pictures for some advice!

Melanie said...

Looks great!! How fun!

The Snow Maiden: said...

Michelle, it is gorgeous! It looks like a picture from a Home and Gardens magazine! You and Chris should be so proud!

Camille said...

I must say, I loved the way the room was painted before, but this is even better! Great job with those shelves, Chris! Everything looks great.

John Skaggs said...

I love how bright and spacious it feels. I love the paint colors and I need to come visit????? i love it...

Ashley Webb said...

It is simply amazing. I'm jealous - and I totally love it. Good job!

Crazy Black family said...

WOW. It's splendid. I think if I didn't have kids, I'd spend all day in there just reading great books. And eating chocolate. Fantastic job!

Keri and Neal said...

Looks fantastic! Love the shelves and the clean feel of the white and pops of blue/green.

Anonymous said...

I love it. You have done a fantastic job. It looks makes the room look so much bigger and brighter.
Monique- Australia

Laura and family said...

This is one of the most incredible remodels I have seen! Congrats to both of you on an incredible project!

Summer said...

I'm really impressed w/ the bookshelves Chris built - gorgeous!

Marlaine said...

It is even more impressive in person. I recommend you all go visit to see it. I already knew that Michelle can decorate masterfully but who knew that Chris is so talented. It truly looks professionally constructed. I can't wait to come visit again!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails