Let's just clear the air right now. I am not a cake decorator. My mother-in-law gave me a nice set of Wilton tips. I use them but not as elegantly as I could. I honestly lack the patience. But, I really have fun making butter cream frosting and going crazy! And the girls love the result . . . which is what matters.
To make this cake, I used a large Pampered Chef batter bowl and baked a yellow cake mix for 55 minutes. That didn't make a long enough dress, so I baked another yellow sheet cake in a 9 by 13 pan. After, letting the cakes cool overnight, I laid the batter bowl "dress" cake on top of the sheet cake and sliced around like it was a circle stencil. I repeated this step one more time to add enough height. What I forgot to do was put frosting between the layers to help them stick together. Then I did a thin crumb layer and froze the cake for about 15 minutes. Then, I added green frosting and slapped on more white to make it look fancy (even if it is kinda sloppy). Chris had the idea to use white flowers from my craft bin and I cut up one green dot candy for the leaves. Tiana's legs were wrapped tightly in plastic wrap before being shoved into three layers of yellow cake. The result was a tasty and very sugary concoction. One day I will bake more cakes from scratch. But for now, it's homemade frosting and the good old Betty Crocker box. And that works for me!
Lots of imperfections make it look more homemade!
She started to melt by the time we lit her and dug in. Poor Tiana.
Now that's an enthusiatic cake eater!

3 comments:
I love the creativity...
What a lucky little girl :) You did a great job, I think it turned out beautiful! Happy Happy Birthday Hallie, we love you!
As much as Michelle enjoys planning and executing these theme parties, Hallie appreciates it. It was a pleasure to join in the decorating and celebrating. Thanks for a wonderful trip.
Post a Comment