Ah, for the love of Valentine's Day!
This was the first year that Hallie made Valentine's for her friends.
She went to a party at her friend Ashton's house and then to a party at preschool.
Hallie glued her picture and label on each bag herself and signed her name.
When the girls woke up, they both got to open little gifts. We bought used DVDs in November for just a couple dollars each. Then we stretched them out by giving them some at Christmas and some at various other occasions. Hence the Christmas tree on the gift wrap. My mom always had little gifts or candies for us on Valentine's Day and I just loved it. They also received love notes and little candies in little mail boxes we decorated. I read them their notes while they ignored me and ate gourds of candy for breakfast.
Hallie received a new Barbie Mermaid movie and Claire opened The Tigger Movie. For the record, the Barbie movie is not my favorite and the Tigger movie is totally good.
The girls drank from heart straws all day long.
And they ate banana muffins so I didn't have to feel as bad about all the candy they scarfed already.
After breakfast, we made a batch of stawberry cupcakes for dessert that night (thank you Betty Crocker mix) and painted our nails pink and red. For lunch, I took the girls to our favorite "kids eat free" diner. Daddy met us there on his lunch break.
As you can see, Claire's manicure was a toddler success -- sloppy but sweet.
The girls were dressed in their pink and gray best. And when lunch came I was so glad theirs were free because they of course ate nothing. Thank goodness I gave them a healthy breakfast of . . . candy.
At lunch, Chris gave me a CD with three song dedications on it. And then we attacked his car with balloons and his favorite treats so he could have a surprise when he came home. I whole-heartedly believe that cheesey year-round gestures make for great marriages. So, Chris writes me heartfelt love letters several times a week while every few months I do things like blow up fifteen balloons (pour on the imaginary Velveeta).
We normally make red food for Valentine's Day. Chris had the brilliant idea to buy a Stouffer's lasagna so he could make dinner. So I did! We had lasagna, garlic bread with feta bruschetta, and caesar salad. The girls drank strawberry milk with their heart straws and the parents had sprite/cranberry pomegranite fizzes.
The girls opened more five dollar presents (I buy these well in advance and save them in a special drawer for special occasions. Case in point- Easter is already covered too).
While Chris and I cooked dinner together (he chopped the tomatoes for bruschetta and tossed the salad while I frosted cupcakes) we listened to . . . wait for it . . . Christmas music. And it was glorious. And we are made for each other.
Happy Valentine's Day!









2 comments:
Fun day.... I love Claire's manicure!!!!
Spencer started talking about Hallie this morning. He told me very seriously, "Mommy, Hallie is a princess." I said, "Is she really?" He, "Yes. She really is!"
Post a Comment