This family of four is soon to be a family of five!
We are 16 weeks pregnant with baby #3. This has been a fun pregnancy journey. I felt symptoms right away this time. Therefore, I had already taken three pregnancy tests by the time we found out the news! One test was taken about 4 days early (I was really eager), another was taken on the day you are recommended to take a test, and the final one (and first positive) was taken about five days after. It was such a fun discovery. Chris and I were on our cruise celebrating our tenth anniversary. Since, I already had two negative tests, I was convinced I was not pregnant and didn't want to spend the money on another test (I have some frugal tendencies). But, on our first night, Chris and I talked about how it was okay if we weren't pregnant yet but that we really would be so thrilled if we actually were.
The next day, we boarded our little ship to take us from our cruise ship to Catalina Island. What started out a gray day turned into a beautiful, bright day. There was so much green foliage and blue sky and ocean. Chris and I walked around hand and hand. We really were loving the moment but I just felt so . . . different. I felt a little removed from the situation and a little nauseous. We finally decided we had to know for sure . . . and now! So, Chris and I started our several block journey to find a pregnancy test. The first mini-grocery store didn't have any but sent us several blocks down the road. We scoured the second store but couldn't find one. Finally, Chris asked an employee where they were. They were up at the front of the store on a high shelf . . . with the cigarettes. Naturally. So, we bought some candy to sort of "pad" our purchase and waited in long lines before we could ask the clerk in front of about ten people if she could get us down a pregnancy test. "Oh my gosh . . . are you on your honeymoon?! You look like honeymooners!" Actually, it's our ten-year anniversary. Gasp! You know she was desperately trying to figure out our ages in her head. "Oh, well, is this your first child?!" Actually, it will be our third. "Oh, well that's good, too. Come back and tell me your results!" So, with the front third of the store cheering us on our way out, Chris and I start the second part of our quest . . . finding a bathroom. I didn't exactly want to find out in a dirty bathroom and I was in desperate need of food. But another several blocks yielded no restaurants I was interested in. Nothing sounded good (that should have been the hint for this food-lover). We finally found a nice plaza that had a restroom and I headed in.
I have taken a lot of pregnancy tests in my life. Trying for Hallie for a year really made the count quite high. I really have a hard time waiting the recommended three minutes before peeking. Thankfully, it didn't take long before I saw a faint line show in the first window. It gradually got darker as the realization sunk in. My eyes were immediately brimmed with tears. I am a mother again. I gathered my things and washed up quickly. I wanted to think of a brilliant way to tell Chris but couldn't think of anything cool to say or do. So, as he came out of the men's restroom and saw me I just had a silly, awed look in my eyes and half-smile on my face as I shook my head up and down. We hugged and teared up a little. We sat down at a little table in the courtyard and reflected. When would our baby be due? Would this be a boy or a girl? We couldn't wait to tell our girls. There was a breeze in the courtyard and you could slightly catch the earthy, sweet fragrance wafting from the magenta bougenvillias. From our table, you could look through three cast-iron barred arches and see our cruise ship floating out on the blue waters. We took a picture of our view. It was so idealic. We didn't want to forget that moment in time. Chris took a picture of me holding the pregnancy test. I looked tired but so pleased. It's so funny, you could have taken a picture of me fifteen minutes before I knew and I would have had a different look in my eyes. As soon as you know, it's like this mantle of peace and perseverance fill your soul. I'm about to be a mother again. Another child is coming. Chris attached a digital recording to the photo on our camera. "It's June 28, 2011. We're on our cruise for our ten year anniversary. We just found out we're going to have another baby."
On the way out of the courtyard, I stopped a tourist to take a photo of us together. He propped us up with a store entrance behind us. There was none of the soft-filtered sunlight from the courtyard to the right of us. This is the only picture we have of this day. Our laptop crashed. The only picture we had saved was one I added to facebook several days previous. It's certainly not my favorite from that idealic day, but it does capture the architecture, what we were wearing, and the depth of the knowledge we just gained. I think we look changed.
On our way back to the boat, another couple took a picture of us in front of a mosaic fountain with the Pacific Ocean behind us. "You guys are newlyweds, aren't you? Is this your honeymoon?" No, it's our ten-year. And we just found out we're having our third baby. Gasp. "Congratulations! That is so exciting!"
It certainly is.


5 comments:
First off, I don't know where I found your blog, but I love it and I've been following it (don't think I'm creepy, LOL) and second, congratulations!! Very exciting news. Loved your story! <3
Beautifully told, Michelle. Congrats on your pregnancy - I'm excited to find out what you're having!
Oh my, love your story!! LOL. And I'm so excited to have someone due when I am!! :D Hope you're feeling better now. What a lucky baby to come to such a wonderful set of parents!
Oh my goodness, what a beautiful story. We are unbelievably excited for you guys!! Josh tells me all of the time, if you knew Michelle, you would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her. I have no doubt. Congrats you guys. Thanks for sharing your story.
COngrats !! Loved the story. thanks for sharing. Wasn't your cruise fun ?? It was a fun 10th anniversary trip. I can't wait to see pictures from your cruise !! I can't even remember if I posted pictures of the cruise. Oh well :) Love ya !
Post a Comment