When I considered spending the fourth with my grandparents I was so excited because I knew it would be a true-blue, all-American, heartland kind of day. And it was! We started the day with what my grandma called a "simple breakfast." After downing cereal, an assortment of fresh fruit, toast with a variety of homemade jellies, and banana bread, we cleaned up for the day. I loved getting dressed in our red, white, and blue because of what they represent-- our incredible country. Hallie had four bows in her hair-- all of which were made by talented friends. Emily made the firecracker bows and Jennifer made the red ones. When we were all showered and in our patriotic best, we left for the Vernal parade. Grandpa brought us all chairs and even though we showed up minutes before the parade started we were able to score great seats. After the parade we had sandwiches, chips, and salad for lunch and then had a lazy afternoon spent on the porch, inside reading, and running around on the grass. Grandma made an incredible and festive meal-- all the good ol' traditional BBQ fare. I was a huge fan of her hamburgers and baked beans. And for dessert we could choose between her strawberry trifle or pink lemonade pie . . . so I chose both. :) Late that night, after it finally got dark, my cousin Mason eagerly lit fireworks for us as we watched on the lawn. My right foot was eaten alive by mosquitoes but you know I am a sucker (no pun intended) for tradition. Even though Hallie had gone to bed earlier, Chris and I thought it would be fun to wake her up to show her the pretty fireworks. She evidently thought we were crazy. She sat wrapped in a blanket in our arms in a total worried daze. Chris saved her and took her back to bed and laid down with her. When I came to say good night to her she said "Mommy did you take me to scary?" Poor thing! I think next year when we prep her a little more and don't wake her up from a dead sleep the fireworks will be a bigger hit. 








2 comments:
Mike has some family in Jensen, UT. You passed through it on the way to Vernal. His mom is buried there.
ahhh i need to meet baby claire :(
Post a Comment