Sunday, April 25, 2010

Come What May


Oh, life! It certainly has its twists and turns. We have had some unexpected twists lately. In addition to Mike's passing, we were dealing with another plunging turn at the same time. My Dad (a.k.a. my hero) was feeling severe back pain several weeks ago. After several tests, doctors have determined he has stage IV cancer. Stage IV. I can look at the history of my life and say, unabashedly, that this should be the hardest time in my life. Undoubtedly, the news of both events are the hardest things I have ever heard (along with news of Grandpa Skaggs' cancer four years ago). But, I am going to be totally honest . . . this is not the hardest time of my life. We are sad (very sad, in fact). But we are also joyful, happy, and hopeful. We continue to enjoy life's pleasures. We giggle. We eat yummy recipes (a little too much sometimes). We watch fun movies. We tell funny stories. We reminisce. And it makes us grateful. We are happy, truly happy. Sweet friends have approached us expecting morose expressions and woeful tales. But we can't. And it's not just "glass half full Michelle." Chris is my optomistic partner on this roller coaster. I can't tell you that my heart doesn't bleed when I think of my Dad and his upcoming chemotherapy. Chris has moments where he is overcome with grief over his little brother. Despite all this, life is still beautiful and joyful. Do yourself a favor and read this article. It's life changing and encompasses my entire life philosophy. I have a nearly perfect life. It isn't charmed. It's that way because I choose it to be.














P.S. My husband literally just asked me if I ever wondered what it felt like to pee my pants. I, of course, exploded in booming laughter. And those moments are just some of what makes life fantastic.

13 comments:

Brit n' Ryan said...

Oh, Michelle, how I love you! :) You just make me so happy, and I love that we are a part of the same eternal family. And I miss that "booming laugh" of yours :) It's good to hear you're doing well. I will continue to keep your family in my prayers. You are such a great example to me. Love you!

Unknown said...

I love this post!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, thanks for the link for that talk...it was a great reminder of the truth of this life. I am so blessed to be part of a wonderful family. Thank you!--Karen :)

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

I miss your laugh. I'm happy that I can still see your smile though.

The Clews Crew said...

Thanks for writing this, Michelle. It's so true and it's just what I needed to hear.

Steph Strike said...

Michelle,

I had no idea about your dad. I am so sorry, that is so rough. I'm glad you're still able to be happy, but I know how hard it can be. I love you and was also so sad to hear about Chris' little brother. My prayers are with your family. xoxo

Camille said...

Michelle, you rock! I just said to Spencer, "When you grow up you should marry Hallie." He may be only three, but he turned beat red and sheepishly tried to hide his embarrassment with a scrunched-up, silly face.

Melanie said...

What a beautiful family you have!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. We just recently heard. Sounds like you are hanging in there and enjoying life because, after all, life is too short! You just experienced that with Chris' brother!

Lisa said...

Michelle, you truly are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing. We are so sad at Chris's brother's passing for you, and wish you many joys with you father and many more years to come with him. May God continue to bless you and your family & extended family.
Much love -- Lisa

Anonymous said...

Michelle, your wonderful attitude astounds me. Talk about true faith! You and your families are in our prayers.

Katie Clifford said...

Oh Michelle... your outlook on life is something that we all benefit from!! You are my hero! I love you woman!! and your family is so cute!!

Keri and Neal said...

Amen, Sister! And as for the peeing pants thing--it's relief, warm, wet, panic, and embarrassment all at once. My bladder has never been the same after having my two angels.

Summer said...

I love your perspective. My mom was just telling me about everything going on w/ your family lately, and you've definitely been im my prayers. So glad to hear you are doing well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails