Monday, May 10, 2010

My Mother's Day

On Mother's Day, Chris and I made his lovely mother breakfast (part of our tradition we started last year).  This year we made cinnamon pull-apart bread and bacon cheddar quiche.  The weather was sunny and gorgeous.  Hallie sang with the other primary children at church.  I totally wept like a baby.  When she walked up to sing, she went straight for the microphone.  Then, a leader redirected her to the front where she could be seen.  She waved and then shouted "Mommy!  Daddy!  Grandma!  I'm up here!"  It was beyond precious.  After church, I talked to my sister-in-law, Karen (one of my favorite mothers).  Mom H. and I spent the afternoon at the cemetery visiting Mike's grave site.  It was emotional for the first three minutes or so.  But then it was relaxing and peaceful.  So many flowers were placed by headstones . . . it was quite pretty.  When we came home, Chris had set the table beautifully for dinner.  He helped me put roast, potatoes, and carrots in a crock pot in the morning.   While we were away, Hallie painted me a gorgeous watercolor and wrote her name on it.  It's so precious!  Chris bought me an incredible album I have had my ears on for some time.  It's called  Then Sings My Soul by Jenny Oaks Baker.  It is violin music that is so inspiring.  He also gave me a mini-shopping spree where I picked out my new kitchen curtain fabric and rods and some new light switch plates.  In the evening I spoke with Grandma Allen and my sweet mom.   Let me say, I think there shouldn't just be Mother's Day.  There should be National Marlaine Skaggs day, as well.

Throughout the day, I stole away moments to write love letters to my two girls.  I plan to put them in their baby books.  I also just wrote some goals for ways I can improve in my motherhood.  Why not take the time to reflect and re-prioritize about my most cherished and important job in the world?  I love Mother's Day.  It's totally better than I ever thought it would be.  It's kind of like you get an extra birthday just because you are a mom.  I hope you had a Happy Mother's Day as well.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails