I'll let you in on a little secret. When, I discovered I was pregnant with my first child an idea was born. Even though the baby had months left of gestation, in my head I had already delivered the idea of a beautiful blond baby boy. His name was Jack. I thought of Jack so much that on two occasions I actually called the unborn baby Jack. Imagine my surprise when the OB told me it was a girl! Ummm, what? I clearly remember thinking "What am I supposed to do with a girl?" This idea of a girl was so shocking I think I went into mourning a little. I wasn't disgusted with the idea of a girl . . . I just had to let go of the little boy I had pictured in my head. Two days later, I saw my mom for the first time since we found out the news. She embraced me and immediately said "I'm so glad you're having a girl! Besides your husband, your daughter is your best friend!" What an exciting promise . . . and really what a flattering compliment when you consider I'm her only daughter. The purpose of this reflection is not to dash boys. I married one! I have three brothers and I wouldn't trade any of them for a sister. One day Chris and I might be blessed with a boy. That will be joyous news. I'm just saying . . . Mom was right. Besides Chris, Hallie already is my best little friend. I still consider Claire my baby and not yet my little girl. Someday she'll be my other little best friend. What a joy! Thanks for the sage advice, Mom. I think about it all the time.
5 years ago




3 comments:
This post brought tears to my eyes!
So true, and so sweet :)
I love it! It really is fun having boys and I consider Spencer and Logan my best friends, but I think usually daughters stay their mothers' best friends forever.
Post a Comment