Thursday, December 16, 2010

The keys to keeping my travelers happy

I don't profess to be an expert on children.  I'll just tell you what works for mine.

In order to keep happy travelers, I must have:

1.) snacks- fruit snacks, crackers, teddy grahams . . . the more the merrier
2.) a pen and paper for Hallie to doodle on
3.) a portable DVD player with Elmo for Claire
4.) a random array of stuffed animals and figurines for Hallie to play with and Claire to throw
5.) endless silent prayers . . . plus entreat your family and friends to pray for you too!


The girls and I just returned from a week visit down to California to visit family and friends for Christmas.
Claire (a.k.a. The Screamer) stayed happy on the airplane ride downand saved all her lung power for screaming at friendly people while at my Mom's.  Hallie started to cry when her ears hurt in the descent.  She tried drinking juice and blowing her nose and finally found relief from sucking her thumb.  Her tears were so large and so sincere.  I was so relieved that my sweet girl could relax.  On the way home, Claire had a couple screeches but they were short-lived.  Hallie is a world-class traveler.  She was such a pleasure to take along.  The hours it takes to travel with children can certainly be harrowing.  But it is so worth the people we get to spend time with and the memories we make.  Here's to many more happy (even if humbling) travels!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails